Saturday, December 23, 2006



Today’s bang of the week brings back old memories. “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” (directed by Robert Zemeckis of “Forrest Gump” and “Back to the Future” fame) came out in 1989, when I was 10 years old. At the time I didn’t even know what an orgasm was, let alone sex. I just knew that I was VERY attracted to Jessica Rabbit and that I would have killed to see her topless.



Looking back, I’m surprised that that movie was even made. It was a children’s movie made by Disney for Christ’s sake. It couldn’t have been very good for flat-chested little girls’ self-image. I guess that it was a sort of marketing ploy. It would appeal to pubescent, male teens, the fathers of said little girls, and just plain, dirty, old men, thus maximizing profits. There was something for everyone. I think that I saw it at least twice in the theaters.



I’m in the midst of winter break which can be both good and bad. It is good in the sense that I don’t have to stress about turning in some essay at the last minute and it is bad in that I have more free time on my hands than I’d care for. I have to say: it’s better to be too busy than too unbusy.



My Christmas shopping was easy this year because I only had to shop for my parents and my full-sister. I don’t have a ton of money so I just got my parents some biscotti and my sister a subscription to MAD magazine. 14 issues for $16. Not bad.



The interesting thing about MAD magazine is that it isn’t just stupid pictures with lame jokes. It actually provides biting commentary on pop-culture. It is amazing in that it works on two levels: the comics are simple enough for seven year olds to understand but are also complex enough for aging intellectuals who are capable of picking up the subtleties and reading between the lines. Actually, it is kind of like “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” in this way. Genius. They’ve come a long way since the banal “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and “Bambi”. I can’t be paid to watch those movies.



Anyway, the big minus about MAD is that about six or seven years ago they started putting ads in the magazines. This happened when they were bought up by AOL/Time Warner. Sell outs.



Feel free to comment, people. It is getting kind of lonely out here ... Also, if you leave a comment, try to make that comment somewhat intelligent. This site isn’t just about women with big tits. It also provides biting commentary on pop-culture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment